Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Here's unplugged's brain fry for you......

Yeah, it's up for free on this blog!

I'm almost done with only my Kellogg essays and my brain is fried. I've lost the ability to judge rationally whether a sentence makes sense or not or whether a sentence is grammatically correct.

Here's how I approached the essays ( after the school/program research of course) - I wrote down the stories I wanted to convey in as many words as I could. Once all the essays were complete, I started to trim them down keeping in mind the big picture and culling out the redundancies - That is deleting whatever was mentioned in some other part of the application and that did not merit a mention once again. I went on and on like a raging bull, trying to lock my horns with anything and everything until I got somewhere close to the word limit.

The end result? - Read the title!

I don't know whether it's because I put in too much effort in thinking about the stories and how to differentiate my self or because I'm just not capable of churning out essays after essays as some other applicants do. Anyway, I'm just happy that the essays are genuine and honest, and they have turned out the way I wanted them to

I seriously apologize to the reviewers of my essays. Let's call them the 'JOF' trio for now. While sending them the email a few hours ago, in my half -brain -dead state, I accidentally wrote - 'There are somethings I want you to tell before going through the essays'...... where as I should have written ' I want to tell you ......'. Sorry guys! They're going to think 'What kind of a retard..eh?

There's one tip I have for those of you who haven't started their essays

If you are trying to get your essays reviewed by a person who doesn't know you at all( you ideally should), it makes sense for you to send even your resume. Also, it is always better to work on your resume first before starting the essays. This way, you'll have 2 benefits

1) You will know what areas or stories to concentrate on

2) You will be able to weed out the redundant points I was mentioning earlier

On to Booth now.....

Yours truly fried,

Unplugged

2 comments:

"LSMBA" said...

If you're not done with your essays and want feedback, I'd be willing to be another reviewer, having gone through all this a bit ago!

Unplugged said...

Hi LSMBA,

Thanks for your offer. I'm not yet done with my essays. I'm in the midst of incorporating the comments from my reveiwers and preparing a final draft.

I'll send the final draft to you