Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Updates on essays...........

Indeed, I'm having a crazy time writing essays. I've started to completely ignore my fitness routine. It so happens sometimes that I'm glued infront of my laptop for 6 hrs without a break. This happened twice in the last week. I opened my laptop at 7.00PM and went to sleep at 12:30AM. But, you know what, I'm beginning to enjoy writing as it is turning out to be not as intimidating as it did while I worked on my career goals essay.

I've completed 3 essays from kellogg.My brother really liked my writing style and he said the story 'stuck'. But, until and unless I have them evaluated from a third party, I'm not believing him. So, I'm actively looking out for reviewers who will be kind enough to critique my essays.

'Evaluating your own file from an adcom perspective' is pending. I seriously don't seem to have any ideas on how to approach this essay.

One more thing, I found a 'readability test software' , which is a useful tool to test how readable are your essays. I found it on GMAT club and thought it might be useful. I also read that Harvard business review's scores fall between 45 and 50, reader's digest - mid 50s. My essays, which are currently over their specified word limits have fared well( the scores are close to 60!). But, I don't know how they'll look after I trim them down.

I've also booked a date for TOEFL. It's on 21Nov2009. And as per some of the debriefs on some forums, the exam is not as easy as I thought( the sheer duration of 4hrs will be draining) and not as tough as the GMAT( people say TOEFL is walk in the park). One section I'm quite vary about is the speaking section as the scores seem to be following a random pattern.

I'll have to devote atleast 1hr every day to do well on the exam

Adios,
Unplugged

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there

Just came across your blog. Interesting posts!

I just wanted to leave a quick comment about CohortX MBA applicant scholarship award that you and your users might find useful.

CohortX (http://cohortx.com) just announced a monthly scholarship award program [$500 cash for November] for MBA applicants. Applications can be submitted by any MBA applicant, who is at least junior in college. Scholarship application consists of some basic applicant information and a 200-word essay. Essay question will be different every month.

Application Month: November
Award: $500 Cash


In order to compete in CohortX Scholarship program, participation is required in the following two phases:

1. Submission Period: Fill out the application form in its entirety during the application submission period.
2. Voting Period : Upon successful submission of application, each applicant is given 5 votes. The applicant must submit all 5 votes to his/her favorite essays during the voting period.

Only applicants and select members of the community are eligible to vote. U.S. and International candidates may apply for this award.


Learn More: http://cohortx.com/scholarship/how-cohortx-scholarship-works/
Apply: http://cohortx.com/scholarship/


If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at pranaya@cohortx.com

Please help our efforts by letting your readers know about the scholarship. And, Goodluck to you!

Regards,

Pranaya Ghimire
Founder, CohortX
The Community for MBA Applicants
http://cohortx.com
1831 Belmont Rd NW
Washington DC 20009