Sunday, December 6, 2009

108/120

Yup, that's what is my TOEFL score. Though I was a bit anxious about the listening section, as people who sat beside me started their speaking section, the scores are OK. With this the TOEFL chapter is complete, and the books will be moved from my study table( I had kept them in case my shitty luck pops up its head)

After receiving comments from my reviewers, I changed the essay structure( not style and content)at least 8 times. Despite being so busy, 2 of my reviewers have been very kind to give me an in depth analysis of my stories. I really appreciate them.

'People, there are still good guys around in this world'. Thanks to LSMBA for his offer to review my essays, I look forward to hearing his comments.

Also, 2 things I felt while writing my Chicago essays

1) 'You will get better at essay writing with time'. I did not believe when people said this and suggested that I write the essay of my number one school last. I did not give it much thought because I had already decided what stories to write and what tone to use long before my GMAT. But, I was proved wrong. The Chicago essays are a lot sharper content wise and style wise. I had to go back and rewrite my Kellogg essays. So, the suggestion is to write the essays of safety schools first, and then start with your top-choice schools. BTW, I'm not applying to any safety schools,and I like Chicago and Kellogg both in equal measure

2) Unlike Kellogg, Chicago doesn't give a lot of room for you to write and paint your personality from different angles. So, chose what you will do with slides carefully because you cannot do much with Essay 2 and Essay 1. Think leadership skills, teamwork etc

I visited my university to collect my transcripts. So, I'm ready to submit the part I of my Kellogg application this week.

All the best to the R1 applicants for the final results. I think the following 2 weeks will be emotion laden for almost all.

Ciao,

Unplugged

3 comments:

"LSMBA" said...

Congratz!

Essay review offer is open -- but log into GMATClub and send me a PM to get started.

Best of luck!

Unplugged said...

Done

N. Nagajyothi said...

I just ran across your blog Unplugged today. I'm planning on applying to business school in the near future. And so reading about your posts on what you felt about Chicago essays and how they were different from Kellog's was very useful.
I've been reading lots of MBA blogs recently and have a suggestion for how this blog can reach to many other needful B-school applicants. Beat The GMAT, which is a very active GMAT/MBA site, recently launched a blog directory (http://www.beatthegmat.com/blogs/all) to promote MBA blogs. If you add your blog to their blog directory, a lot more people like me will find your blog!

Looking forward to your posts,

Jyothi