Thursday, June 11, 2009

And the prep continues........

As I already told, I've shifted( sort of) the focus to RC and Math.
Below, in short, is a short overview of my preps

SCs - I'm solving around 10 questions every day so that I do not become completely unfamiliar with them. I think I'm becoming fairly proficient in these as I'm able to solve any SC I look at in under a minute. But, of late, I've been reading in the debriefs that SC is getting tough in the actual GMAT and that 1000SC is no longer representative of the questions one would encounter in the actual GMAT. I'm getting a bit concerned with this but have finally decided not to bother too much. The only reliable sources now are OG and the GMAT prep. I'll also lay my hands on the retired ETS papers this week end and see how things turnout

CR- A point of concern because out of the 20 questions I solve every day, I'm still getting around 3 wrongs. These wrongs are pretty silly. I get them right as soon as I have a second look at the question. I guess this has to do with the concentration levels. If I cannot fix this problem, I'll never be able to sit through the gruelling 4 hrs. The best thing is to treat every question as a bullet directed towards the GMAT beast. The better you concentrate, the greater the damage you can inflict upon it. In short, I have to think as if my whole life depends on the question shown on the screen

RC - I'm currently solving RCs from LSAT, usually 2 passages with 15 questions. I'm getting around 2 to 3 wrongs, which I think is a fairly bad hit rate considering the fact that I'm spending around 2 mins/question.I'm not too much concerned because GMAT passages are a lot easier than the LSAT ones and because since this is the only second day with the RC, my mind is still getting in the groove. I'll solve around 2 to 3 passages every day until this weekend

Math - Still a spoilsport because of many reasons
1) Even though I scored around 48 or 49 in my first attempt, I fear math because I'm simply not good at it. Since childhood, especially with Math, the correlation has been simple - the harder I prepare the more I score and the more confident I get. I know I'd put in insane practice in my first attempt and was confident of scoring atleast above 48 even at the mid-way of my preps. All that is forgotten now; I have to start afresh( lesser mortals you know!)
2) Math is getting the last slot in my days time table. As a result, the pace of progress has been slow

I'll try sticking to this schedule for atleast some weeks to come so that my mind gets conditioned to the GMAT mindset and I develop some stamina
Will solve an old ETS paper( only verbal) on Saturday and will post the results. I think it, to a fair extent, will show my progress

No comments: