Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Random musings

Many times, I am amazed at myself when I find myself thinking about 100 differnt issues. These thoughts vary from 'how would moon feel like' to 'the latest ad that appeared in todays newspaper' to 'what could be the best strategy for General motors to make a comeback'. Then, I conclude that it's best not to dwell too much on the issues the world is faced with because there are able people at the right positions to take care of such stuff and that I'm better off thinking about stuff I'd have to live with.

Last few days have been damn good physically and emtionally( both being interrelated in many ways than one). Physically, because I've added the long ignored cardio to my weight regimen. I'm running close to 3kms every day after doing weights. It is kind of a nice feeling to have when that average pulse rate on the treadmill reads 160, when every muscle in the body screams because of the lactic acid built up, when you can't take your eyes of the digital clock on the air bike, when you feel as if your viens are pumping battery acid. while, one part of my mind wants me to throw away the dumbells to the farthest corner possible, the other part wants me to continue pumping and push through the reps. This part wants me to punish my muscles; it also wants me not to quit even if loud screams out of intense pain come out from my mouth. The sense of tranquility that comes about after these episodes of intense pain/fight is worth experiencing and it is something that cannot be explained in words but has to be experienced. In the crux of such serenity, you will feel that the issues that you face on a everyday basis, the problems that forced your mind to contemplate quitting, are very small.These things teach more about yourself than any other course ever can.

As promised with myself, I did write a GMAT paper test( only verbal) and scored only 40. The key take aways are

1) I was able to sit for the entire 75 mins without getting disillusioned. Although there were moments where there was a lapse of concentration I think I managed to sit through
2) Because of the over confidence, I was rushing through the questions and as a result I was unable to reduce my 'unforced errors'
3) I had 1min for 1 problem. So the problem of pacing through the test was not a issue
4) Among the 20 odd SC and CR questions, I got 3 wrong in SC and as many in CR. But, when I went through the questions once again, I was able to spot the correct answer without any difficulty. RC was a killer though - I got 7 wrong. The errors are partially due to the format of the pdf version of the test paper - For every passage, I had to scroll 3 pages and look for the answer. This continued back and forth and I lost time

RC shouldn't be a problem because I'm solving 2-3 passages from LSAT papers and scoring at a fairly good rate. GMAT passages are relatively easier compared to the LSAT ones. I'm solving around 10SCs from my error log, 10 - 15 CRS from 1000CR every day in addition to the RC passages. I just hope that I don't lose touch with these 3 sections

Math is underway in full swing. I've made a mental road map of how I want my prep to progress. I'll keep pumping 50 questions from math every day and I hope to get better by 2 weeks. After I'm fairly comfortable with the concepts, I'll have to solve the 25 GMAT club tests, which should see me through in the actual GMAT. As with the workout at the gym, I'll keep solving/pumping questions every day until I feel comfortable to give the full length tests

Oh yeah! If you haven't read about how Gerald Butler trained for 300, look out for the videos on youtube now. You'll be amazed at the dedication and commitement with which these guys put in work to get that look they got. No wonder, Mark Twight is a real bad ass when it comes to workout, dedication et al....

Will be back with the scores from another GMAT verbal paper test

Ciao,
Unplugged

No comments: